cygwin and embedded linux

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Sat Aug 24 10:11:04 EST 2002

Kenneth Johansson wrote:

> And I remember what you thought about people like me that tried to make
> the cross compile environment going.

The only opinion I have changed is that people that can actually make
this work well (and I know of only a couple) have a special talent
and I really like them to hang around :-)

I guess when you work for a large company that will pay your salary regardless
of missing schedules and can only provide half-assed tools you have to
cobble together to make things work, you are both lucky and have my sympathy.
I don't have the patience or development time to create or debug my
development tools, they just have to work.  I'm not using anything that
anyone else can't go out and purchase or download, and it continues to
baffle me why people won't take the easy route to developing software.

> But it finally did work out OK and nowadays all you really need to now
> is what parameters to give the configure script.

There is LOTS more to creating an easy to use and properly created set
of development tools than knowing some parameters to configure scripts.
Only a couple of people I know understand the magic, and it isn't documented.
I'm just going to rely on them to make my job easier :-)

Have fun!

	-- Dan