Linux on an NCD X Terminal?

Matthew Locke mlocke at mvista.com
Tue Oct 30 10:44:57 EST 2001

Hans Johnson wrote:

 > Hi Folks,
 >
 > Just wondering if anyone has attempted a port of PPC Linux to the NCD
EXplora X Terminals? I just picked one up cheap ($10) and upon opening
 > it up, discovered that it seems to be constructed out of essentially
 > standard components.
 >
 > it has a PPC 403GCX CPU, an S3 Trio64 video chipset, an AMD PCNet fast
 > ethernet chipset, and a National Semiconductor I/O controller.  I'm not
 > sure what it has for a PCMCIA controller, but it does have a slot.
 >
 > Anyway, just curious if has attempted this before. I think this could be
 > a really neat little box, if it had an operating system. :)

I happen to have one on my desk:)  I have not tried to boot linux on it
yet.  The 403 code is in the latest _devel kernel

 > > EXplora X Terminals? I just picked one up cheap ($10) and upon
 > opening it up, discovered that it seems to be constructed out of
 > essentially standard components.
 >
 > it has a PPC 403GCX CPU, an S3 Trio64 video chipset, an AMD PCNet
 > fast ethernet chipset, and a National Semiconductor I/O controller.
 >   I'm not sure what it has for a PCMCIA controller, but it does
 > have a slot.
 >
 > Anyway, just curious if has attempted this before. I think this
 > could be a really neat little box, if it had an operating system. :)

I happen to have one on my desk:)  I have not tried to boot linux on it
yet.  The 403 code is in the latest _devel kernel.  It *should* work but
I haven't tested it lately.  Let me know if it works.

btw, the PCMCIA seems to be a custom pld.