Problem using FEC on a860T

Borracini Evandro-R45188 Evandro.Borracini at motorola.com
Mon Oct 22 21:38:46 EST 2001

> Jeremy Rosen wrote:
>
> I am still struggling with my FADS, and the 2.4.4-07.23 kernel from
> Denx...
>
> I am trying to have the FEC working, but I hqve problems..
>
> when I compile without "MDIO for PHY configuration"
> the kernel prints forever the message  "fec.c[1374]
> mii_link_interrupt:
> unexpected Link interrupt
> on the console at boottime.
>
> when I compile with it, the kernel Oopses.
> after carefull debugging, I tracked it down to the line 1367 in
> arch/ppc/8xx_io/
>     mii_do_cmd(dev, fep->phy->ack_int);
>
> it is a kernel access of bad area.
>
> It is possible that I have missed something in the
> configuration, but I
> really can't guess what...

No, You have not missed anything on configuration.

There is a problem in some FADS boards that makes the irq pin used for mii_link_interrupt always active. That is the reason why you are getting the unexpected mii_link_interrupt.

Firstly, apply the attached patch. This patch was written by Dave Ellis. It will disable the mii_link_interrupt when the "MDIO for PHY configuration" was not selected.

Secondly, you need compile without the "MDIO for PHY configuration". FADS does not use that.

I hope this helps

Evandro