Root login...

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Thu Oct 11 04:47:04 EST 2001

"Prasad, Siva" wrote:

> I used HHL Journeyman 2.0 PPC 7xx to build ramdisk for our custom PPC 750
> board. When I try to execute, it gives the login prompt. But when I type
> 'root' and hit enter, it gives me back login prompt again. Basically it is
> not logging in.

It looks like you are missing /bin/login.  Assuming the initscripts
started up properly, take a look at the various logs in "/var/log" and
you should see an error message from getty explaining what is wrong.

Once you add in /bin/login, you will need the pam shared lib,
/etc/pam.d/login and the assorted pam "module" (/lib/security/pam_*) for
what is specified in /etc/pam.d/login.

However, if you don't care about security then you can just create a
file /etc/pam.conf with the following:

# Permit an open system [Dangerous!]
other   account         required        pam_permit.so
other   auth            required        pam_permit.so
other   password        required        pam_permit.so
other   session         required        pam_permit.so

And make sure that you copy /lib/security/pam_permit.so

--Mark