Multi-level CPM Interrupts

Wolfgang Grandegger wolfgang.grandegger at bluewin.ch
Fri Nov 2 06:36:03 EST 2001

Dan Malek wrote:

> Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>

>> It seems you did not real until the end of Wolfgang's message; he wrote:
>>
>> | it easily allows RTAI users to use CPM interrupts.
>

> Well, I know that other people are running RTLinux without the same
> modification, so "easy" must be a relative :-).

The problem only shows up, if CPM interrupts have to be handled in
real-time *and* in Linux at the same time. A customer actually wants
to handle the CPM-IRQ-PC4 on the RTAI layer, but at the same time
all other CPM interrupts (console, enet etc.) should still be handled
within Linux. It would require substantial modifications to RTAI (and
RTLinux) to deal with the CPM handler stuff ... just for the 8xx!

>> We need this for RTAI, and I don't see any problems with it.
>

> The problem I have is that it is a reasonable argument for exactly
> the _one_ board you have.  We have tried to do what you are asking

I'm confused. All 8xx have a CPM, are'nt they?

> in the past, and it resulted in a big mess.  A multiple level interrupt
> controller has interrupts numbered from zero to the extent of their
> implemetation, few are the same.  Further, on processors with flexible
> integrated peripherals, the _real_ interrupt number for that particular
> service controller has to be programmed into the peripheral.  On one
> hand,
> you "simplify" the programming interface, and on the other you make it
> a confusing implementation of arithmetic/shift/macros and configuration
> unique to nearly every board.  With the current implementation all of
> the 8xx boards are generally supported (or generally broken, if you
> choose
> the "half-empty" outlook on life :-).
>
> In all cases, moving everything under a virtual, single programming
> interface doesn't remove the underlying interrupt management you have
> to perform in a RTLinux environment.  There is still _only one_ CPM
> interrupt vector from the perspective of the exception handler.  IMHO,
> you still have to design the software to work with that, so why not
> just admit it's different under all circumstances instead of just one?
>
> We had a multilevel interrupt structure for a short time back in the
> late 2.1.xxx development days.  Because we couldn't find a way to make
> it support the legacy PeeCee AT cards without changing the API in the
> drivers, it was dropped.  I don't want to promote the kind of change
> you are requesting because it will simply propagate and become the
> same mess we have seen in the past.  The proper solution is to design
> a multlevel interrupt structure and acknowledge the hooks necessary
> for something like an RTLinux insertion.  This design goal isn't unique
> to 8xx.  There are many PowerPC boards with a variety of interrupt
> controller designs that would benefit from this.  Let's do something
> to make forward progress that benefits everyone instead of a modification
> unique to one board.

Sorry, I cannot follow. There is already a "multilevel interrupt structure"
which RTLinux/RTAI uses and - as far as I have seen - *apart* from the
CPM on the 8xx all secondary PowerPC interrupt controllers are incorporated
into this "multilevel interrupt structure" (see open_pic.c, i8259_pic.c,
pmac_pic.c).

Thanks,

Wolfgang.