initrd on PPC

Brian Waite bwaite at cspi.com
Wed Mar 28 02:06:57 EST 2001

Has anyone been successful in bringing up a zImage.initrd under 2.4 PPC. I am using a Motoroloa 2400 with a zImage.initrd and it looks like there is no way this can be working. initrd_start and initrd_size are not set correctly when I get into arch/ppc/kernel/setup.c. We have been working great under 2.2 but I am tring to bring it up under 2.4.3pre3 and hitting a roadblock. Has the entire logic changed from 2.2 -> 2.4 here or is it just really broken? We are hoping to get it working today but we are putting 2.2 code back into the 2.4 tree to make this happen I am a little afraid this is the bass-ackwards way to do this. Has anyone just gotten this to work out of the box?

I have checked all the configs I can think of
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096   <-- We are below this
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
# CONFIG_CRAMFS is not set
# CONFIG_RAMFS is not set
# CONFIG_DEVFS_FS is not set