Flash Device Driver

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Mar 24 12:37:42 EST 2001

In message <H00002af04b2e173 at MHS> kingseft wrote:

>  I found Flash Device driver related files in linux-2.4.3-pre3-2001-03-11
>  I have Intel TE28F160B3(2MBytes, 16bit port size, bottom boot type) flash memory.
>
>  Question1:
>  Can I use my intel flash memory for your flash device driver?

I think it should run without any modifications.

>  I got flash vendor id : CFI_VENDOR_INTEL_STANDARD
>  so , I modified your code like this.
>   } else if ((primary_vendor == CFI_VENDOR_INTEL_SHARP_EXTENDED) ||
>            (primary_vendor == CFI_VENDOR_INTEL_STANDARD) ) {
>  Is it possible ??

Where did you modify code? Please show the  output  of  a  "diff  -u"
command!

>  Question2:
>  when kernel booted, I found this messages.
>  Found 1x16bit 2MBytes CFI Flash device of type Intel Standard at 0xFFE00000
>  registered flash device /dev/flasha (minor 0, 4 partitions)
>  and when I got shell prompt. I made like this.

This looks good, the flash has correctly been recognized.

>  I tried like this.
>  ls -al >> result.txt
>  cat result.txt >> /dev/flasha4

To use the auto-erase feature of the driver, you must  write  with  a
blocksize  that  is  a  multiple of the erase block size of the flash
chips.

Try something like

	dd if=result.txt of=/dev/flasha4 bs=128k conv=sync

>  cat /dev/flasha4
>  but I coudn't find my result.txt contents..
>  Is it impossible??

Probably the flash was not erased? Were there any error messages?

>  Questions3:
>  I read your README but I had a question.
>  Where can I find flash_erase ??
>  W. Denx wrote flash_erase /dev/flasha start_addr end_addr
>  Thanks for any comments and replyings...

See attachment.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Not one hundred percent efficient, of course ... but nothing ever is.
	-- Kirk, "Metamorphosis", stardate 3219.8