request_irq in a module casues kernel crash

Cort Dougan cort at fsmlabs.com
Fri Mar 23 17:01:43 EST 2001

Try request_8xxirq, not request_irq.  The 8xx has its own name for
request_irq.

} I am trying to write a module where I am trying to register an interrupt
} handler using request_irq() sample code for which appears below, when
} I try to load this module, I am getting kernel panic. Anybody knows reason
} why?
} I have compiled the kernel with  CONFIG_MODULES=y CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
} CONFIG_KMOD=y
}
} I am using  2.4.2-pre3 on a 860 platform.
}
}
} void handler(int irq, void *dev_id, struct pt_regs * regs)
} {
}     printk("Interrupt handler invoked for irq %d \n",irq);
} }
}
} /* load the module */
} int init_module(void)
} {
}     int result;
}     result = request_irq (SIU_IRQ7, my_handler,SA_INTERRUPT,
} 		"cxeHandler",NULL);
}     if ( result )
}         printk("Interrupt not assigned");
}     else
}         printk("Interrupt  assigned");
}     return 0;
} }
}
} /* remove the module */