request_irq in a module casues kernel crash

Subodh Nijsure subodh at best.com
Fri Mar 23 16:50:11 EST 2001

I am trying to write a module where I am trying to register an interrupt
handler using request_irq() sample code for which appears below, when
I try to load this module, I am getting kernel panic. Anybody knows reason
why?
I have compiled the kernel with  CONFIG_MODULES=y CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y

I am using  2.4.2-pre3 on a 860 platform.

void handler(int irq, void *dev_id, struct pt_regs * regs)
{
    printk("Interrupt handler invoked for irq %d \n",irq);
}

/* load the module */
int init_module(void)
{
    int result;
    result = request_irq (SIU_IRQ7, my_handler,SA_INTERRUPT,
		"cxeHandler",NULL);
    if ( result )
        printk("Interrupt not assigned");
    else