How can I slim down libc

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Fri Mar 2 10:06:16 EST 2001

Hi Peter,

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 03:36:18PM -0000, Peter Uttley wrote:
> Unfortunately I only have 8MB of RAM to play with and Libc on it's own is
> 4MB, I've tried removing debug information but this doesn't get me down much
> further.

8 MB should be heaps for an embedded Linux system, unless your application is
memory hungry.  To see all the stuff we fitted in an 8 MB system, see the
section of the HOWTO at:
    http://penguinppc.org/usr/embedded/howto/PowerPC-Embedded-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2

The glibc-2.1.3 shared objects total less than 2MB on our 855T system, so I
suspect you're doing something wrong.  What are the size of each of your .so's?

If you solve this problem and still need more space, check out the sglibc
project for information on how to shrink it further, at:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sglibc

I suspect you won't actually need to though; you just need to find why you're
currently ending up with a 4 MB glibc.

Regards,
Graham
--