8260 console problems

jtm at smoothsmoothie.com jtm at smoothsmoothie.com
Thu Feb 22 16:18:31 EST 2001

I've been trying to get Linux going on an 8260 board (EST's SBC8260 eval
board to be exact) and I have ppcboot starting the kernel. ppcboot sets
up SMC1 at 9600 bps as its console, and when Linux starts up, it
starts running SMC1 at 115200 bps. How do I make Linux keep SMC1
at 9600 bps?

Then, the kernel prints out some stuff, and after the message:
	CPM UART is SMC1
    (The message is from memory, so it might not be exact.)

Output stops for a while, then I get garbage that looks like
it changed baud rates on me again. If I look in log_buf, I can
see that the kernel did continue up to the point where it starts
sending out BOOTP requests. I'm guessing that ouput stops while
the kernel is in rs_8xx_init(), which sets up the SMC.

Is there something that I should be doing that will fix
all of this? I'm using a plain 2.4.1 kernel (from ftp.kernel.org)
and my .config file is a copy of arch/ppc/configs/est8260_defconfig.

Thanks for any help

--
Jay Monkman	    The truth knocks on the door and you say "Go away, I'm
monkman at jump.net    looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.