SysVInit, /etc/TIMEZONE, getty_ps, telnet, and rsh

Miquel van Smoorenburg miquels at cistron.nl
Tue Feb 20 09:14:50 EST 2001

According to Grant Erickson:
> The problem I am having, which may be due to inappropriate hacking of
> sysvinit, is that sometimes processes of which 'init' is a parent do not
> inherit the environment variables exported:

They probably do inherit the environment, but simply reset the
environment internally ignoring whatever was set by the parent.

> Has anyone else modified sysvinit in this way? Any success? Did I miss
> something key in my patch?

I think you need t ostudy the source code of those misbehaving programs.

BTW, you could have achieved the same by using /etc/initscript. Could
be a shell script, but could be a small compiled executable too
that sets TZ.

Mike.
--
I live the way I type; fast, with a lot of mistakes.