ping says unknown protocol icmp I have /etc/protocols file.

Jeffrey D. Kowing jeffrey.d.kowing1 at jsc.nasa.gov
Sat Feb 3 00:55:42 EST 2001

Subodh Nijsure writes:

 > I have 2.4.1 running on my board with ramdisk loading etc.
 >
 > However when I try to use ping it says unknown protocol icmp.
 >
 > I have searched the mailing list archive and made sure that I have correct
 > /etc/protocols, /etc/services files.

Had a similar problem recently.  Sadly, my little brain does not
exactly remember the solution, but I believe the problem was that I
did not have one of the necessary libraries on my ramdisk that allowed
ping to lookup the icmp protocol in the files you mention.

I think it was one of those libresolv* or libnss* libraries.

--
Jeff Kowing
jeffrey.d.kowing1 at jsc.nasa.gov