programming ppcboot onto an sbc8260 with a vision ice

Andrew Dixon andrew.dixon at seranoa.com
Tue Dec 4 07:38:50 EST 2001

Peter Desnoyers wrote:

> You need to take the ELF file, ppcboot, and convert it into a .bin file
> using the vision ICE convert utility.
>
> The file format referred to as "BIN" in the visionICE documentation
> isn't a real binary image - it has a special header.

OK.  When I try that it tells me:

Conversion Failed: no data was extracted from the selected address
range.

Where the address ranges are:
/var/opt/visionXD/bin/convert  -w ppcboot -b
convert v7.8A Copyright (c) 1996-2001 Wind River HSI
convert ELF file ppcboot to BDX file ppcboot.bdx
Extracting image from 'ppcboot'
Writing binary download image to 'ppcboot.bdx'
Maximum packet size: 0x100
Lower address: 0x0
Upper address: 0xffffffff
Execution address: 0x40000000
Image written
Processing time: 0.011 seconds

Lower Image Address: 0xfe000000
Upper Image Address: 0xfe020000

I also tried:

/var/opt/visionXD/bin/convert  -w ppcboot -b
convert v7.8A Copyright (c) 1996-2001 Wind River HSI
convert ELF file ppcboot to BDX file ppcboot.bdx
Extracting image from 'ppcboot'
Writing binary download image to 'ppcboot.bdx'
Maximum packet size: 0x100
Lower address: 0x0
Upper address: 0xffffffff
Execution address: 0x40000000
Image written
Processing time: 0.011 seconds

which gives me a file "ppcboot.bdx".  VisionXD still complains that it's
not a flat binary though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andy