Building, Installing and Running Samba on Walnut (405gp)

Ira Weiny iweiny at acm.org
Thu Aug 30 06:00:34 EST 2001

Michael Washburn wrote:

> I have HHL2.0 installed on a Redhat 6.2 host and need to get Samba running
> for a IBM PPC405GP (Walnut) System. Is there a good source of information
> available on how to go about doing this? Does someone have a configuration
> file that sets up for this environment?
>
> I've looked through the man pages and How-To's for Samba and can't seem to
> find this information. At the moment, I've got the samba sources installed
> at /opt/hardhat/devkit/lsp/ibm-walnut/samba-2.2.1a directory.

Included is a file I wrote to make sure I could duplicate the build
again.  Although it does not go into installing.  I don't know how to
build rpm's or anything fancy I just know Makefiles and get things going
that way.

Not included in the directions are that for this or MySQL, can't
remember which, I had to build for x86 and then copy some "helper"
programs over which generated files during the build.  If you get
something like "can't execute blah" I would try this.

BTW I never did get MySQL to compile for the walnut is there anyone out
there who has?  So right back at you!  ;-)

Another question: Do most people build on the walnut or their custom
board?  I have not done this at all yet.

Hope this helps,
Ira Weiny
iweiny at acm.org