New Linux PowerPC development

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Wed Aug 1 09:54:17 EST 2001

We were going to release it, but if you read the lmbench license you
will find out that contrary to popular belief it is not considered "free
software".  Basically if you use lmbench for commerical purposes, or
need to patch it to allow for it to cross compiler, or change it in
anyway, you are not allowed to do anything with it.

So the short answer is we said "screw it", decided not to ship it.  We
will give our patches and tools to (paying) customers on request, but it
just isn't worth our while to deal with these restrictions for the open
source release.  (Sorry..)

FYI, lmbench is actually pretty easy to cross compile.  If I remember
right just do:
make CC=(compiler)
make CC=(compiler) results
make CC=(compiler) rerun