Kernel driver debugging

Scott Anderson scott_anderson at mvista.com
Sat Apr 28 05:33:30 EST 2001

John Cagle wrote:

> What about IBM's tools: RiscWatch and RiscTrace?  Does anyone have
> any experience with these, and how do they differ from the BDI2000?

RiscWatch runs on Wintel.  It doesn't come anywhere near integrating
well with Linux.  I also encountered problems because the RiscWatch
doesn't give you as much control over the initialization it does to
the processor.  The bottom line for me is that it is *way* nicer to
use ddd on top of gdb debugging a kernel built with -ggdb using the
Abatron.  RiscTrace should give you the advantage of being able to
see the past execution of your code, but in practice, I never found
it very useful.

    Scott