ppc little-endian port

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Tue Apr 24 20:11:35 EST 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Dan Malek wrote:

> Cort Dougan wrote:
> >
> > Why?
>
> Yeah, we really don't care about little-endian.  Like I always
> say, getting a kernel built and booted is the easy part.  The
> entire world runs big endian tools, libraries and applications.
> Making all of that work is a task no one is going to tackle.

Indeed...

> While refreshing my PowerPC history the other day, I found a UISA
> book from 1991.....The Little-Endian Byte Ordering chapter introduction
> has this to say:

1991 ? I though PPC came in 1993. First Power systems were announced and
delivered in 1990 AFAIR.

> Later in the text it states "There are 24 ways to specify the
> ordering of four bytes withing a word, but only two of these
> orderings are sensible."

Indeed the PDP was a nightmare, like VAX floating-point formats BTW...

> I contend there is only one sensible ordering, and we are already
> using it.........

Right, unfortunately so many people have been brainwashed by the
niadne-elttil side and are unable to think on their own.

	Regards,
	Gabriel.