4MB DRAM is enough for linux kernel 2.2.13

Graham Stoney greyham at research.canon.com.au
Wed Sep 20 14:08:39 EST 2000

Jari writes:
> Can anybody tell me the minimum size of the linux kernel 2.2.13  that we can
> reduce?   (this kernel doesn't need console, anything else ... just boot and
> run my own program)

It's not so much the kernel you need to worry about, it's the root file system
containing the runtime libraries that take up most of the space.
Nevertheless, I have some kernel minimisation patches available at:
    http://members.nbci.com/greyhams/linux/patches/2.2

> If I want to support only ftp, what is the minimum size of ramdisk ?
> I think if I reduce the code of the kernel and the library libc6, 4MB is OK.

As Dan said, you won't fit a ramdisk in only 4Mb.  You would need to use a
(probably compressed) flash filesystem; others have done it, but is it worth
the hassle given that RAM is cheaper anyway?

You can find more info about this in the HOWTO at:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/greyhams/linux/PowerPC-Embedded-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2

Regards,
Graham
--