kgdb/Sandpoint -- patch & help needed

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Wed Sep 20 04:40:03 EST 2000

Alex Shnitman wrote:

> Hi, Murray!
>
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 02:39:17PM +1100, you wrote the following:
>
> > >... However, with this patch the kernel
> > >hangs right after saying "Now booting the kernel". I don't even see
> > >how these changes could affect the boot process so early.
> >
> > Aha! I was caught by this. When you enable CONFIG_KGDB, a breakpoint is
> > executed in setup_arch() which is just about the first thing the kernel
> > does.
>
> Right, but before calling setup_arch, it prints the linux kernel
> banner! Here's the code:
>
>         printk(linux_banner);
>         setup_arch(&command_line, &memory_start, &memory_end);
>
> And I don't see the banner. Did you see it when you encountered this?

printk's are logged to a buffer until the kernel has initialized the console
and then dumps it all out.  At this point, the console isn't initialized.  The
initialization is done with the call to console_init() (in
init/main.c:start_kernel) which eventually calls register_console() which will
dump out the logged msgs.

Mark