4MB DRAM is enough for linux kernel 2.2.13

Dan Malek dan at mvista.com
Wed Sep 20 04:19:54 EST 2000

Prashant Patel wrote:

> Hello Everybody
>         Can someone tell me if 4MB DRAM is enough to boot linux kernel
> 2.2.13. Note that the 8xx rom boot loader occupies around 500k.

Yes, I can say it will not work.

The code in the arch/ppc/mbxboot directory, which is used for
all 8xx and 8260 processors, assumes there is memory above 4 MB
it can use for buffer space while decompressing the kernel.  You
can play around with adjusting these addresses and sizes, and get
a kernel to boot.  You will get a shell prompt, and that is about
all.  You won't be able to use a ramdisk, you probably won't be
able to execute any useful programs.

	-- Dan

--

	I like MMUs because I don't have a real life.