HARDHAT: hhl-relocation... how to use it?

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Wed Sep 6 04:14:33 EST 2000

The hhl-relocation program is a wrapper which is used for relocation
gcc.

GCC has many hard coded paths in it.  We have a system to bypass those
hard coded paths using environment variables.  During the RPM install,
if you chose to install other then the default prefix (if do an rpm -qip
gcc* you'll see it is relocatable) a small script is run to adjust the
default prefix inside of hhl-relocation, and then rename all of the gcc
executables (gcc, g++, etc) to *.real.  It then sets up a sym link from
"gcc" to hhl-relocation.  When you run a symlinked program,
hhl-relocation intercepts the call, sets the environment variables, and
then calls the program + .real.

It does preform relocation, but no it cannot reconfigure the standard
directory to run relocated.  You must use rpm to do that.

--Mark