Porting LinuxPPC

Daniel Wu Daniel.Wu at alcatel.com.au
Fri May 19 18:09:22 EST 2000

Hi Graham,

Graham Stoney wrote:

> To quote Grant Erickson in
> http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-embedded/200001/msg00123.html:
>
> "You don't ever want to change KERNELLOAD or KERNELBASE, otherwise the
> virtual memory and MMU code will all break."
>
> This seems to be a common error, so I might add mention of it in the HOWTO.

Yes, I saw the article after sending the question. But this doesn't really help me
:-( I've put back the KERNELLOAD and KERNELBASE address back to their orginal
values and load the zImage (in the .../arch/ppc/mbxboot directory) rather than the
vmlinux file using the BDM debugger but it still crashes very early in the piece.

To be precise, while clearing the BSS.

/* Clear all of BSS */
        lis     r3,edata at h
        ori     r3,r3,edata at l
        lis     r4,end at h
        ori     r4,r4,end at l
        subi    r3,r3,4
        subi    r4,r4,4
        li      r0,0
50:     stwu    r0,4(r3) <---- crashes here
        cmp     0,r3,r4
        bne     50b

The strange thing is that it seems to work if I step through the loop. In any
case, it crashes soon after that in serial_init.

I think I'm missing something fundamental here ... any suggestions.

Regards,
Daniel