How to get rom code to go on FADS?

Dan A. Dickey ddickey at charter.net
Thu May 18 13:20:42 EST 2000

Richard Hendricks wrote:

> "Dan A. Dickey" wrote:
> > So, I'm attributing this recent success to:
> >         A)  Setting SYPCR in the rom code fairly early on.
> >         B)  Issuing a "rms der 0" to mpc8bug when it is connected.
>
> Interesting.  So clearing the SYPCR early in the ROM code is what
> was preventing you from getting the code to run stand-alone?  Kinda
> odd, considering the initial value of the watchdog is very long,
> and you were having problems getting your Aux LED to turn on
> right at the very beginning.

I believe that was at least a goodly portion of it.
It is interesting to note that the Aux LED still doesn't
blink unless the ADI & mpc8bug are connected.
Stand alone - no blinking light.  I'm going to
attribute this for the time being to the UPM not
being initialized - or some piece of hardware.
In any case, I was trying to use the Aux LED as
an indicator of how far the cpu got through the
code.  Getting to the point of an 8xxrom prompt
at which I can enter 'bootz', hit C/R, and see
linux boot up was enough for me to yank the assembly
version of the Aux LED blinking code.

I also think it was the delays I put in between
turning the light on/off that caused it to take too
long and for the watchdog to bite.

I might add that doing the "rms der 0" helped tremendously
as well.  I can now leave the ADI & mpc8bug connected
(for flashing new code) - but still allow linux to load
& start.  It doesn't without doing that (even though
8xxrom sets DER to 0!).
	-Dan