X-server for the mpc823 LCD controller?

Marcus Sundberg marcus at cendio.se
Tue May 2 05:28:23 EST 2000

Kim Jørgensen <KIJ at infocom.dk> writes:

> I would like to run X-windows (or something similar) on my custom mpc823
> board. So I'm looking for a X-server for the mpc823 LCD controller, is there
> any one out there?
>

> I have used the RPXL LCD frame buffer on my RPXL board, with the program
> dispbmp. Is the source code available for this program?
> Can any existing graphical server use this frame buffer?

XGGI (http://www.stacken.kth.se/~mackan/ggi/xggi/) should run fine on
the 823 together with my not-yet-released-but-as-soon-as-I-get-time-
to-commit-it LibGGI driver for the 823.

However I have not attempted to cross-compile XGGI yet, so someone
with a faster LinuxPPC box than an 8xx and some spare time is welcome
to try a native compile.

Unlike Microwindows XGGI is a real, full-featured, X-server. This
ofcourse means that it's larger than Microwindows, but it's still
smaller than common X-servers:
XF86_SVGA       - 2.6 MB
XF86_FBDev      - 1.9 MB
XGGI            - 1.5 MB