Embedded Debian Cross Development Environments Available

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 23 16:25:54 EST 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Frank Smith wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce the availability of the first *test* release of
> Embedded Debian Cross Development Environments. Here are the specs:

This is very interesting, I hope to have time to look at it myself later..
[I have ARM, m68k, and ppc boards to try] I found it a *HUGE* pain to get
a proper GCC/binutils/glibc/newlib cross compile setup, and I've done it 3
times now :<

You might also want to provide newlib versions of everything, it would be
really cool if you could share newlib/glibc gcc+binutils somehow.

For instance, for what I am doing now I need to be able to compile linux
kernels, compile linux applications, compile ecos and compile stand alone
programs. The latter two could really benifit from newlib availability.

>     * Capabilities:
>         - C development

C++ would be nice too, it is handy to use for embedded stuff. Don't
necessarily need libstdc++, just the compiler.

I really like how you re-used the libc6 .debs from the original sources,
that is certain to eliminate any possible incompatibilities. I have
regularly been cross compiling linux applications from i386 to ARM this
past little while, so this is important to me :>

In fact, a generic 'convert lib and lib-dev package to lib-TARGET' script
like alien would be extremely usefull, and probably quite doable!

Thanks,
Jason