Compile gdbserver for powerpc

Lucinda Schafer lucsch at adaptivemicro.com
Wed Jun 21 01:35:21 EST 2000

>From Graham Stoney's "Linux for PowerPC Embedded Systems HOWTO/FAQ", Section
18.2:

18.2 GDB
Once the kernel is running, you can use gdb in several ways:

native
If you have lots of RAM, you can run it directly on your target. If you are
cross developing, you need to configure gdb with:
% configure --host=powerpc-linux

gdbserver
You can run gdbserver on your target and run gdb back on your development
machine, even if you're cross developing. This requires far less resources
than running all of gdb on your target. See the thread at :
http://lists.linuxppc.org/listarcs/linuxppc-embedded/200001/msg00156.html.
(I did not see anything here about GDB--les)

Get gdbserver, and see the enclosed README at:
ftp://ftp.ppc.kernel.org/pub/linuxppc/embedded/gdbserver.tgz (I could not
connect to this--les)
If you're cross-developing, remember to configure your gdb as described
earlier.

.
.
.
18.3 Kernel
It is not currently possible to use gdb for kenel debugging.
.
.
.
Hope this points you in the right direction.

Lucinda Schafer
Staff Software Engineer
Adaptive Micro-Ware, Inc.