Running from ROM

Kent Borg kentborg at wavemark.com
Tue Jun 6 07:37:31 EST 2000

I am doing some early investigation of the suitability of embedded
Linux.  I am wondering about program loading.

Traditionally, embedded systems run their programming directly out of
ROM.  Linux doesn't seem to have any concept of such a thing.  But if
I have a large embedded application that needs every bit of its RAM
and ROM, I would like to find a way to get Linux to run directly out
of ROM with no moving parts (no disks).  Anyone doing that?

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who has done some web searching and is close to
concluding no one is doing this, but he hopes he is wrong.