LTP BDM interface

Frank Przybylski Frank.Przybylski at vas-gmbh.de
Fri Jun 2 23:51:48 EST 2000

Hi Erwin,

strange coincedences happen ;-)

Erwin Rol wrote:

> Hello Frank,
>
> I have found something "interesting" in your LPT BDM interface.
> The Freeze lines on the BDM port double as VFLS[0-1] lines (on the
> MPC860
> that is , dunno about other PowerPC cpu's). When the CPU goes into debug
> mode the VFLS[0-1] lines both go to '1' but 00 01 and 10 have a
> different
> meaning (See page 37-3 of the MPC860 PowerQUICC User's Manual) and in
> your hardware you only test one of the two lines which may cause a false
> positive recognition of the debug mode. A simple solution might be
> a AND port to "mix" the two lines in hardware, because this is always
> what we want and we aren't interested in the other functions of
> VFLS[0-1].
>
> Does anybody else use Frank's hardware interface and GDB patches and has
> strange problems like the debugger stopping the target at random places
> ?
>
> - Erwin
>
> --
>         Q - S O F T - E N G I N E E R I N G
>      Rodachtalweg 11, 81549 Muenchen, Germany
>
> Erwin Rol (Software Engineer)     phone: +49-89-68050051
> Erwin.Rol at Q-Soft-Engineering.com  fax  : +49-89-68050052

Thanks for your feedback!

Here is what I just have sent a couple of minutes before:

Subject: Re: about bdm?
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 14:16:16 +0200
From: Frank Przybylski <Frank.Przybylski at vas-gmbh.de>
To:  fzfh at 263.net

Hi zheng.fh,

As IMHO motorola's documentation is poor regarding the debugging port,
is it hard for me to tell you if it things will work with option a.

I use option b, because I use a TQ-Module. They use FRZ on the BDM, because they
need the VFLS pins for PCMCIA. There is only one signal needed, to tell if the
processor is in debugging mode.
I hope you have motorola's 860 user manual. I haven't found detailed documention
about the history buffer signals at first glance.

As far as I understand, you need both signals from VFLS[0,1] to tell whether
processor is frozen or not.

So, have a try. Without show cycles, there is a chance that things will work.
The MPC signals VFLS0 and VFLS1 if frozen. So, if there are no history buffer
flush signals I think there is a chance that VFLS0 is enough to detect FRZ.

If not, add one AND gate to the adapter: FREEZE:= VFLS0 & VFLS1 :

FREEZE means the FRZ signal on the adapter board (do not connect it back to the
MPC ;-), so AND pin 1 and pin 6 from the MPC connector, and connect the output
to pin 1 at the parallel cable connector, replacing the old direct connection
from pin 1 to pin 1.

HTH
        Frank

---------------

Option a mentioned above is BDM with VFLS0 and 1, option b is BDM with FRZ on
pin 1 and 6 at the BDM connector.
So there are problems regarding different boards..., sorry for causing trouble.

I'm gonna do an update next week on
 http:www.vas-gmbh.de/software/mpcbdm
to mention this problems. I think two additional transistors with two resistors
will do the trick.

The update will fix some bugs (add add some new ;-) and add some additional
features, where I think the best is simple MMU table walk, simulating the linux
kernel table walk to allow kernel debugging. (it seems to work, but I have to
figure out, why it's working that simple... I think there are problems with
accessing data)

So, please give me a couple of days, and don't expect too much

	Frank

Frank Przybylski,VAS GmbH,Gotenstr.6,20097 Hamburg,GERMANY,TEL:+49-40-238568-14
   mailto:Frank.Przybylski at vas-gmbh.de , visit us at http://www.vas-gmbh.de