printk before CPM reset

Kwansuk Kim kskim at neowave.co.kr
Mon Jul 10 17:39:06 EST 2000

After decompressing kernel, the first line displayed through the console is ttyS initialization comment.

ttyS00 at 0x0380 is a SMC
ttyS01 at 0x0100 is a SCC
ttyS02 at 0x0200 is a SCC

in function serial_console_setup in arch/ppc/8xx_io/uart.c.

As above, I use SMC2 for ttyS0. I changed everything and got bash prompt.

Anyway, I heard the first line displayed is the version of the kernel.

I saw the string ,log_buf, stored in memory, and the string begins with 'Linux version 2.2.13 ...'

Is it because CPM is reset just before serial_console_setup? But I changed also bootloader and I can see the comment 'Now booting the kernel' before the kernel booting.

Why can't I get the comment?