Problems with HardHat/NFS root filesystems

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 6 08:45:48 EST 2000

In message <Pine.SGI.3.95.1000705121641.27740C-100000 at world.std.com> you wrote:

> Thanks, Wolfgang, for your response.  It helped somewhat.  Here's what I
> discovered:
>
> 1. I am also unable to run ash.static

Then shread libs are not your primary problem.

> 2. I forgot to mention another error message (actually, I thought it was
> trivial but it's not), I also get a "Warning: unable to open an initial
> console" error message.

OK - that's a different issue, then.

> In /etc/exports, I export the volume as /opt/hardhat.....
>
> However, when I do an "exportfs -av" the exported volume shows up as
> /usr/opt/hardhat.....
> I specified /opt/hardhat... in /etc/dhcpd.conf
>
> I think, therefore, that NFS is not allowing access to the proper
> directories, and that's why it can't find an init (or a /dev/console!)
>
> Am I on the right track?

I think so - most probably your target can't see the files it  needs.
You should be able find out by running some network analyzer (tcpdump
might be enough for the job; ethereal will make it more convenient).

The quick test is to fix your configuration and try it out :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
If it went on at this rate, in several billion  years  he'd  be  rich
beyond his wildest dreams!            - Terry Pratchett, _Soul Music_