Help Sought: 8390-Ethernet Troubles on PowerPC 4xx Port

Grant Erickson grant at lcse.umn.edu
Sat Jan 15 09:12:55 EST 2000

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Niklaus Giger wrote:
> Are you sure that the ethernet interrupt are correclty handled? It
> seems to me that the oak board never answers.

I definitely receive and handle the interrupt. The call chain is as
follows when I chase it with single-step from 0x500.

  0x500 -> do_IRQ -> oak_get_irq -> ppc4xx_pic_get_irq -> IRQ = 27

              `----> ppc_irq_dispatch_handler

                              `---> ppc4xx_pic_mask_and_ack
                              `---> ei_interrupt
                              `---> ppc4xx_pic_unmask

> Have you ever serviced correctly a interrupt on the PPC403? If you
> have HW-debug possiblity through the JTAG, try to break on external
> interrupt at address 0x500 and step through the interrupt code to
> verify that it works correctly.

Yes, it appears to be working correctly. I haven't dove into the actual
logic of ei_interrupt, however. I'm presuming (perhaps incorrectly) that
the 8390.c code is pretty architecture neutral.

> Other idea: Do you need a byte swapping to set the controller
> TCP/IP-address/ethernet adresses?

That's a possibility. The Ethernet address is OK and can be verified by
looking at the ARP trace I sent (the MAC addresses from the PROM-generated
and Linux-generated ARPs are the same). I don't think* the IP address
should come into play until the Oak controller has grabbed the ARP reply
from the server, right?

Thanks again for the input!

Regards,

Grant