Ramdisk image

Kári Davíðsson kd at flaga.is
Fri Dec 1 21:24:51 EST 2000

Hi,

The ppc embedded faq at http://members.nbci.com/greyhams/linux points
you
to http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO-4.html for instructions on
making
ramdisks. Actually this link is broken (I just found out). You might try

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html which
works for me.

If all fails,

dd if=/dev/zero of=myimage bs=1k count=<size in kb>
mke2fs myimage
mount myimage <mountpoint in your directory structure>
copy the files you want on your ramdisk to <mountpoint in your directory
structure>
umount <mountpoint in your directory structure>
gzip myimage

And you should have a valid ramdisk.

The steps above are from memory. If some of the command do not work
properly it might because of missing options. In all cases check the
manpage for these commands.

Hope this helps,

K.D.

Example