usb chipset

Matthias Fuchs matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com
Fri Aug 25 03:13:15 EST 2000

Hi,

I nearly have the same problem. I need USB support for an PPC405CR
platform ! As far as I know. only PCI USB chipsets (OHCI/UHCI) are
supported by linux. It is also a little problem to get usb host
controller other than PCI chips (I am not sure if you need a masteror
slave chip). But a solution seams to be at the horizont.
The USB host/slave chips from scanlogic (SL11H/S and SL811). I read that
softconnex will write some linux drivers for those chips. But I am sure,
not under the GPL. So it would be nice if someone would do that under
the GPL.

Matthias

Gary Swanson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope this isn't an inappropriate newbie question, but here goes.
>
> We have been developing solutions using a PowerPC823, which has on chip
> USB support, but we are starting another development with the PowerPC
> 855, which I understand doesn't have on-chip USB support.
>
> My question is; are there external USB chipsets that we can use that are
> already supported by the 2.2.14 kernel (from the MontaVista CDK 1.2), or
> does anyone have any recommendations for a chipset that would make the
> USB support as straightforward as possible ?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gary

\ Matthias Fuchs                                 \
 \ esd electronic system design Gmbh              \
  \ Vahrenwalder Straße 205                        \
   \ D-30165 Hannover                               \
    \ email: matthias.fuchs at esd-electronics.com      \
     \ phone: +49-511-37298-0                         \
      \ fax:   +49-511-37298-68                        \