Software Emulation Exception...

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Tue Apr 11 02:26:55 EST 2000

Marcus Sundberg wrote:

> Well, it also happens to be typical to the MM problem solved by
> the patches at http://www.zeta.org.au/~linsol/.....

That's pretty interesting, since the Software Emulation trap is
caused by fetching trash from memory, and the MMU changes are to
properly track dirty data pages.  I don't buy it.  All you did
by adding these changes was eliminate (or change) the data TLB
miss timing.  Have you ever looked at the 8xx bus when it gets
a TLB fault?  Pretty damn weird.  I've seen several external devices
not behave properly because of this.

> And by Pavel's description it's almost 100% certain that the MM
> bug is the problem.

Well, almost 100% doesn't cut it for me.  If you can't determine the
actual cause of the problem and prove it has been corrected, it is
still broken.

	-- Dan