Software Emulation Exception...

Marcus Sundberg erammsu at kieraypc01.p.y.ki.era.ericsson.se
Mon Apr 10 19:37:28 EST 2000

Dan Malek <dan at netx4.com> writes:

> > > "Software Emulation %s/%d NIP: %lx *NIP: 0x%x code: %x"
>
> So, decode the address/instruction and see if it makes sense.
>
> > The problem has gone after upgrading to the Montavista kernel (from their
> > CDK 1.0)
>
> Since I know something about both of your custom board designs, I
> can say that the software is unlikely to be the trouble, although it
> could affect the problem.  This exception is typical of custom designs
> that haven't properly designed the external device interfaces to the
> 8xx bus.

Well, it also happens to be typical to the MM problem solved by
the patches at http://www.zeta.org.au/~linsol/ (which are included
in the Montavista kernel).

And by Pavel's description it's almost 100% certain that the MM
bug is the problem.

//Marcus
--
Signature under construction, please come back later.