Questions on the MPC8xx-2.3.10 realease.

Scott Wood scott at broadlink.com
Fri Sep 24 03:31:14 EST 1999

sébastien tadéoni wrote:

> Hi PPCpeople;
>
> I worked recently on the mpc8xx-2.3.10 sources, and I
> had less problem for compilation than with the 2.2.5
> release, but it stays some 'undefined reference to
> :kbd_pt_regs, fg_console, no_scroll.....'.
>
> I think it is a configuration problem, but I don't
> find any solution (and I wonder if I will find the
> good configuration one day). I noticed like Brendan
> that some parameter are configured even if you didn't
> want.
> I edited the autoconf.h but no really changes.

I suggest tracking down the Makefile that is building the
unwanted feature and comment out the lines that build it.
It's not the cleanest solution, but it has worked for me.

> According to Dan, it seems to be tooo difficult to
> cross compile on a host pentium machine (I begin to be
> mainly agree with him),so I'm going to obtain a
> powermac station.
>
> However I would like to know before if someone has
> already succeeded to build a zImage or zImage.initrd
> configured for a MPC860 MBX board on a host pentium
> (II 400) station?

I have successfully built both a zImage and zImage.initrd
for kernel 2.2.5 for an RPX-Lite (MPC850) board on a PII-350
station running RedHat 5.2.  I used binutils-2.9.1.0.19a and
egcs-1.1.2 cross-compiler.

--
|     Scott Wood      |   Systems  Engineer  |