Compiling 2.3.18

Dan Malek dan at netx4.com
Mon Sep 20 14:07:06 EST 1999

Claude Robitaille wrote:

> I have no success at compiling (actually just doing make dep) the
> 2.3.18 kernel source I downloaded from linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu...

I'll download it and take a look, although this is now out
of date with the CVS tree.

> I downloaded 2.3.18 from edge.kernelnotes.org and I am able to compile
> (after fixing one of the Config.in file).

This looks like a mirror, so it is likely up to date.  What
was the problem with Config.in?

> Could it be a problem with Dave's tar (as for fadsrom.tar)?

I don't understand why some people have problems with this file.
I continually download and extract it just fine on any of my
Linux machines.  What are you using?

> I am targetting a board with an MPC8xx, does the source from the
> embedded tree at linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu better....

I usually put something there as a convenience for people that
can't get CVS access through a fire wall.  It represents my
source tree, which is known to build, just before I make CVS commits.

	-- Dan