Problem for compiling linux-2.2.5-embedded

Dan Malek dmalek at jlc.net
Wed Sep 15 12:21:02 EST 1999

Brendan Simon wrote:

> Things you should NOT have included are :
> - serial support and serial-console support.  I know this sounds wrong but
> that's the way it is.

It's that way because selecting any 8xx automatically configures
a serial console. You can't get a serial console without selecting
PC-Style uarts.  You can't select PC-Style uarts on the 8xx because
they assume they are the only serial ports on a system and that
is where a console belongs.  This prevents using the 8xx CPM
serial ports.

We should change this to allow both PC uarts and the CPM uarts
to co-exist.  The only board I know of that mixes these is the
MBX, so it is low on my list of things to do.

> PS. I think there is a sample configuration file in embedded-notes.txt or
> mbx-notes.txt on the ftp site.

That is pretty out of date.  I need to create a real configuration
file that is kept with the kernel sources.

	-- Dan