linuxppc embedded boot problems.

Brian Kuschak bkuschak at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 15:08:25 EST 1999

> This code has statements to invalidate the cache
> before jumping to the
> kernel. Is this the same as making sure lines are
> not "locked" in the
> cache ?

No, lines which have been locked into cache can only
be removed by sending an "unlock line" or "unlock all"
command to the IC_CSR register.  "Invalidate all" does
not remove "locked" lines.

> I have boot code which does basic initialisation of
> the 860
> (chipselects, DRAM, etc).  This code will eventually
> jump to the start
> of the "kernel loader".  Do I also have to
> invalidate the caches just
> before jumping to the kernel loader ?  This
> currently isn't done.  BTW.
> All caches are disabled at this stage so I guess it
> shouldn't matter.

If caches are disabled, it's a non-issue.  We wrote
our own boot monitor for a custom 823 board
(originally running non-linux code), copying code from
a slow flash into fast SDRAM and swapping chip
selects.  If you are running in a region of memory
with I-Cache enabled, and you copy new code into that
memory, then invalidating the I-cache is necessary.

Brian