Serial ports

Grant Carter gcarter at eng.uct.ac.za
Fri Dec 10 23:18:54 EST 1999

Hi all

I posted a question a while ago to the list about not being able to get
the second serial port ttyS1 (on SMC2) working on my BSE-IP board
running the 2.2.5. The kernel finds the port but when I echo something
to it, nothing comes out of the port. I received some replies but
nothing that was suggested has worked. Could someone please suggest how
I can test the second serial port and then hopefully get it working.
Below are the things that I have tried so far:

I added SMC2 to the rs_table in arch/ppc/8xx_io/uart.c and the kernel
detected the port.
CPM UART driver version 0.02
ttyS00 at 0x0280 is a SMC
ttyS01 at 0x0380 is a SMC

I have made sure that there is the correct device nodes in /dev
# ls -la ttyS*
crw-r--r--   1 root     0          4,  64 Sep  7  1998 ttyS0
crw-rw----   1 root     66         4,  65 Dec 10  1999 ttyS1

Does anyone have any ideas where I can go from here. I am not 100% that
the hardware is working so perhaps that could be the problem.

Many thanks in advance
Grant

Grant Carter                              gcarter at eng.uct.ac.za
Department of Electrical Engineering      University of Cape Town
Tel: +27 (0)21 650-3467                   Fax: +27 (0)21 650-3465
                     "Coffee not found - operator halted!"