[5.16.0] build error on unrecognized opcode: ptesync

Christophe Leroy christophe.leroy at csgroup.eu
Tue Jan 11 17:20:03 AEDT 2022

Le 10/01/2022 à 13:32, Mike a écrit :
> Hey, so I originally sat down to compile the fast headers V2 patch, but
> quickly discovered other things at play, and grabbed 5.16.0 a few hours
> after it lifted off,  arch/powerpc/mm/mmu_context.c I had to
> specifically say had to include -maltivec or it barfed on a 'dssall',
> I'm fine with that, I've spent years in kernel land, I can deal with
> that, then came arch/powerpc/lib/step.c with the ptesync. This seems
> like a totally normal instruction that shouldn't need any extra flags or
> anything, yet the assembler throws up, and no flag I can think of fixes
> it. This is a G4 7447. I reverted back to the Debian 5.15. defconfig
> before dropping this mail as I had tweaked my config to be more G4.

Hi Mike,

Can you provide a bit more details about your setup and config ?

Are you using GCC or LLVM ?
What version of GCC and BINUTILS or what version of LLVM ?

What is DEBIAN defconfig ? Does it correspond to one of the standard
mainline kernel defconfigs ? If not can you provide it ?

Thanks
Christophe