[5.16.0] build error on unrecognized opcode: ptesync

Mike michael.heltne at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 23:32:53 AEDT 2022

Hey, so I originally sat down to compile the fast headers V2 patch, but
quickly discovered other things at play, and grabbed 5.16.0 a few hours
after it lifted off,  arch/powerpc/mm/mmu_context.c I had to specifically
say had to include -maltivec or it barfed on a 'dssall', I'm fine with
that, I've spent years in kernel land, I can deal with that, then came
arch/powerpc/lib/step.c with the ptesync. This seems like a totally normal
instruction that shouldn't need any extra flags or anything, yet the
assembler throws up, and no flag I can think of fixes it. This is a G4
7447. I reverted back to the Debian 5.15. defconfig before dropping this
mail as I had tweaked my config to be more G4.

Best regards.
Michael Heltne