remove set_fs calls from the coredump code v6

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed May 6 02:52:04 AEST 2020

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 3:13 AM Christoph Hellwig <hch at lst.de> wrote:

> this series gets rid of playing with the address limit in the exec and
> coredump code.  Most of this was fairly trivial, the biggest changes are
> those to the spufs coredump code.

Ack, nice, and looks good.

The only part I dislike is how we have that 'struct compat_siginfo' on
the stack, which is a huge waste (most of it is the nasty padding to
128 bytes).

But that's not new, I only reacted to it because the code moved a bit.
We cleaned up the regular siginfo to not have the padding in the
kernel (and by "we" I mean "Eric Biederman did it after some prodding
as part of his siginfo cleanups" - see commit 4ce5f9c9e754 "signal:
Use a smaller struct siginfo in the kernel"),  and I wonder if we
could do something similar with that compat thing.

128 bytes of wasted kernel stack isn't the end of the world, but it's
sad when the *actual* data is only 32 bytes or so.

                Linus