PPC64: G5 & 4k/64k page size

Bertrand bertrand.dekoninck at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 02:27:51 AEDT 2020

On 06/01/2020 19:30, Romain Dolbeau wrote:
> Le dim. 5 janv. 2020 à 16:06, Bertrand Dekoninck
> <bertrand.dekoninck at gmail.com> a écrit :
>> I can now test on powermac 7,3 (with an ATI card)
>> How can I build a deb package of this kernel ? Or is there a package to download somewhere ?

I've tested the 5.5-rc package with the link you gave hereafter. When
you said "working kernel", did you mean it would not crash ? It doesn't
for me. I can boot successfully.

The only weirdness I could notice is that my swap space wasn't mounted.
When I tried  to run swapon, I was given the following (roughly
translated from french) :

swapon: /dev/sdb5 : pagesize doesn't fit with space space format

               unable to find swap-space signature

So I ran mkswap on the partition, I could then run swapon successfully.

But, when I boot the old kernel ( 5.3), I've got the same error again on
swap and I have to format the swap space to mount it manually.

There's something wrong on swap page size between those two kernels.

> I usually cross-compile on x86-64 from upstream sources. On a Debian
> Buster with the powerpc tools installed,
> it's just:
>
> #####
> make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc64-linux-gnu- oldconfig && nice
> -19 make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc64-linux-gnu- -j56
> bindeb-pkg
> ####
>
> (alter the -j56 for your own build system). For the dependency, as far
> as I remember I only needed "gcc-powerpc64-linux-gnu" and
> dependencies. My '.config' is Debian's 5.3 plus default values for
> changes - with the exception of 4 KiB pages.I should use the same and the same config file also.
I'll try this later. Should I download the 5.5-rc1 kernel source or
something else ?

> I've also uploaded the working kernel with 4 KiB pages DEB here:
> <http://dl.free.fr/otB1KMEMR>, as it might be easier for a quick test.
>
> Cordially,

Cheers,

Bertrand