RFC on writel and writel_relaxed

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 28 08:35:19 AEDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 10:46 -0400, Sinan Kaya wrote:
>  combined buffers.
>
> Alex:
> "Don't bother. I can tell you right now that for x86 you have to have a
> wmb() before the writel().

No, this isn't the semantics of writel. You shouldn't need it unless
something changed and we need to revisit our complete understanding of
*all* MMIO accessor semantics.

At least for UC space, it has always been accepted (and enforced) that
writel would not require any other barrier to order vs. previous stores
to memory.