Boot new kernel on PS3

Geoff Levand geoff at infradead.org
Thu Nov 23 04:40:34 AEDT 2017

Hi,

On 11/21/2017 12:41 PM, Kevin Yeske wrote:
> I have been working on trying to get a newer kernel and Ubuntu version running on the PS3 within otherOS on a PS3 slim.

There was a breakage in the kernel ABI, and the old petitboot
bootloader (ps3-petitboot-09.11.30) cannot boot kernels newer
than v3.15.

If you want to boot a newer kernel you would need to write
the new kernel into flash memory.  If you have a fat model
with firmware 3.15 or lower, do this with  with ps3-flash-util.
Since you have a slim, you'll need to ask for help in the
hacker community.

If you want to try a new kernel I recommend you start with the
latest petitboot-dev branch (currently petitboot-dev-v4.13) from
my ps3-linux repo:

  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geoff/ps3-linux.git

Use the ps3_petitboot_nfs_defconfig as a start.

I've been working on an updated petitboot, but that will only work
with fat models with firmware 3.15 or lower.

-Geoff