udgb on fsl booke?

Scott Wood oss at buserror.net
Mon May 16 12:46:20 AEST 2016

On Mon, 2016-05-16 at 11:40 +1000, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Fri, 2016-05-13 at 17:41 -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that udbg is missing for fsl booke , or at least it doesn't
> > appear to be implemented. I don't know a great deal about fsl book. I'm
> > working on an MCP85XX at the moment , and I was looking into the udbg
> > system to get prints. It looks like fsl booke might be similar enough to
> > 44x to use the already implemented udbg routines for that.
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestion on this ? Is fsl booke missing because it's
> > not possible to have this, or no one ever needed it ?
>
> Yeah I noticed this recently too.
>
> I don't know the history of why there isn't one, I suspect probably it just
> was
> never merged upstream. Hopefully someone from Freescale can chime in.
>
> On my machine (p5020ds) there is a real UART, so it should just be a matter
> of
> creating a mapping for it and then using the existing udbg_16550 code.

We don't have udbg support for these chips anywhere.  I usually just dump the
logbuffer from an external debugger (or bisect with a branch-to-self using the
external debugger to see if it was reached, if the logbuffer is empty) when
there's a boot problem.  It'd be nice to have; it just never got done.

-Scott