Build warning on 32-bit PPC - bisected to commit 989cea5c14be

Nicholas Piggin npiggin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 13:02:24 AEDT 2016

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:49:07 -0600
Larry Finger <Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net> wrote:

> I am getting the following warning when I build kernel 4.9-git on my PowerBook
> G4 with a 32-bit PPC processor:
>
>    AS      arch/powerpc/kernel/misc_32.o
> arch/powerpc/kernel/misc_32.S:299:7: warning: "CONFIG_FSL_BOOKE" is not defined
> [-Wundef]
>
> This problem has been bisected to commit 989cea5c14be ("kbuild: prevent
> lib-ksyms.o rebuilds").
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

Hi Larry,

This is strange you've bisected it there, I can't see how that patch would
trigger it. That said, powerpc has had a few small build system glitches.

It looks like this warning could be fixed by changing #elif CONFIG_FSL_BOOKE
to #elif defined (CONFIG_FSL_BOOKE). Want to send a patch (if it works)?

Thanks,
Nick