memcpy regression

Michal Sojka sojkam1 at fel.cvut.cz
Mon Sep 7 19:45:50 AEST 2015

On 7.9.2015 10:40, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-09-07 at 09:08 +0200, Christophe LEROY wrote:
>> Hi Michael

>>> I think you're right that it's not a good solution, the compiler could generate
>>> other calls to memcpy depending on various factors, and people will add new
>>> code that causes memcpy to get called and it will break your platform.
>>>
>>> Christophe, am I right that the problem here is that your new memcpy() doesn't
>>> work until later in boot when caches are enabled?
>> That's right, memset() and memcpy() are for setting/copying data into
>> cacheable RAM.
>> They are using dczb instruction in order to avoid wasting time loading
>> the cacheline with data that will be overwritten.
>>
>> memset_io() and memcpy_toio() are the functions to use when using not
>> cacheable memory.
>>
>> The issue identified by Michal is in function setup_cpu_spec() which is
>> called by identify_cpu(). identify_cpu() is called from early_init().
>> In the begining of early_init(), there is (code from Paul in 2005)
>>
>> 	/* First zero the BSS -- use memset_io, some platforms don't have
>> 	 * caches on yet */
>> 	memset_io((void __iomem *)PTRRELOC(&__bss_start), 0,
>> 			__bss_stop - __bss_start);
>>
>> It shows that it is already expected that the cache is not active yet
>> and standard memset() shall not be used yet. That's the same with memcpy().
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
>> I think GCC uses memcpy() in well known situations like initialising
>> structures or copying structures.
>> Shouldn't we just avoid this kind of actions in the very few early init
>> functions ?
> Which are the "very few" early init functions? Can you make a list, for 32-bit
> and 64-bit? And can we keep it updated over time and not introduce regressions?

If the code that runs without caches is concentrated in few files, we
may either modify the buildsystem to check whether there is a call to
memcpy from these files (e.g. by using nm) or these files can be
"prelinked" with special version of memcpy that doesn't require caches.
Would any of these be acceptable?

-Michal